Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Therapeutic Gardening

gardening quotes

It's true--anyone can be a gardener, or, as I like to call myself, an amateur farmer!

Stressed, and a bit depressed, at a time when nothing seemed to be working in my favor, I started a backyard garden with just a few essentials--tomatoes, green beans, zucchini, and yellow squash.  And slowly, my healthy distraction turned into a full-blown passion.

When I wake up in the morning, I put on my house shoes and trek out to my garden to see what progress has been made over night.  When I get home from work, I head out to my garden to admire it for a little while longer.  I lovingly water my plants, pull weeds, cultivate and fertilize the soil.  I turn my compost pile and water it so it stays active.  I examine each plant for ready-to-pick veggies and pesky visitors. And when a plant I love gets infested with bad bugs, I work with persistence to obliterate the enemy and resuscitate my plant-child.

Gardening has become my outlet for stress.  Some people run, some people drink, and some people take Prozac.  For me, though, I just head outside and play in the dirt.


How do you unwind at the end of a long day?

1 comment:

  1. So, bigger the garden the more stressed you are..?

    Passion is intoxicating. It is great that you are sharing yours! And I love your humor.

    ReplyDelete